Today 27 January - International Day of Commemoration in memory of the victims of the Holocaust

Nicoletta Zar nicoletta.zar at ictp.it
Wed Jan 27 08:55:59 CET 2010

REMEMBRANCE AND BEYOND

 From last years' message of United Nations Secretary-General  Ban Ki-moon
New York, 27 January 2009

"New initiatives in Holocaust remembrance and education
have given us an authentic basis for hope. But we can
and must do more if we are to make that hope a reality.

We must continue to teach our children the lessons of
history's darkest chapters. That will help them do a better job
than their elders in building a world of peaceful coexistence."

Full text at: http://www.un.org/apps/sg/sgstats.asp?nid=3677
Source: http://www.un.org/holocaustremembrance/index.shtml

The "Risiera di San Sabba" in the suburbs of Trieste was the only Nazi
extermination camp in Italy.
After September 8, 1943, it was used as prison camp, where prisoners
were sorted out to be sent to Germany and Poland,
and extermination camp for hostages, partisans, political and Jewish
prisoners.
In 1965 it was proclaimed National Monument of Memory, and is now a
Museum that can be visited.
See official site:
http://www.retecivica.trieste.it/triestecultura/new/musei/risiera_san_sabba/