MESSAGE FROM ERIC JOST

ICTP Info Point info_pt at ictp.it
Fri Aug 15 12:08:06 CEST 2008

         _ * *__*Emergency doors of the Centre's Buildings are being
activated.*_

As anticipated sometime ago, in order to safeguard the interests of the
I.C.T.P., it has been necessary to adopt  several basic measures in the
safety and security areas  with the objective of rationalizing and
improving the security of ICTP's buildings.A methodical but progressive
action has been planned. Therefore new safety measures will  gradually
and progressively be implemented in line with the_ _importance of the
culture of safety, security and accountability in our campus: these
issues are tied to new and up-to-date simple habits and procedures that
will have to be gradually taken up by the Staff, Visitors and users in
general (all  other Organizations present in the I.C.T.P. premises have
been already duly informed).

*In particular,  in these days the alarms of the emergency doors are
being activated (pls. see, inter-alia, the AGH lower level exit door
towards the sea; _we are placing clear and visible information on these
doors_. In all buildings these doors  are often incorrectly utilized
and  left open.*

This is the first preparatory step towards the newly arranged access to
the Center's  buildings only with personal badges or through guard
controlled doors or other technical devices (see the interphone at the
Fermi Building). All these new  measures will be announced_ _extensively
step by step and we are preparing a general practical and concise
guideline which will indicate the new criteria  governing the admission
and presence of people on our premises (including the technical
facilities present at I.C.T.P.) and a set of measures to be taken on
specific cases and situation. This guideline will be circulated upon the
approval and final endorsement of the Directorate. The provisions will,
thereafter, become permanent and without delay applicable, until new
instructions are produced.

Thank you for your kind attention.

Erich A. Jost/Administration ICTP