Football match report

ICTP info point info_pt at ictp.it
Wed Feb 7 13:31:54 CET 2007

Goals, Goals, Goals

Goals – eleven of them – that's how many the ICTP team scored in their
second outing of the season.
On a rain-soaked evening, the team controlled most of the game against
one of the two new teams in the tournament, ITAL-TBS, from the Area di
ricercha.
New player, Benjamin Obi Tayo (from Cameroon) was instrumental,
slotting into the midfield and maintaining possession of the ball. This
dominance in possession was soon turned into chances and the chances
into goals. Gabriele Pesco (Maintenance) opened the scoring, Mounir
Ghribi (guest player from ICS-UNIDO) added two more, and Tayo himself
finished neatly for the fourth before half time – opening his account
for the team (He's now scored as many in two games as I have at the
start of our fourth season!).
During the second half, Nino Coppola (TWAS) made a string of fine
saves, while more goals were added by Juergen Kroeger (Weather and
Climate Group) and Pesco again. Sandwiched between these was a
beautifully headed goal by an ITAL-TBS defender. Unfortunately, it was
past his own goalkeeper.
A couple of defensive lapses, understandable given the wet conditions,
allowed ITAL-TBS to score a couple – and add a third with almost the
last kick of the game.
On the whole, though, this was a good, solid all-round performance from
the ICTP team. Long may it last.
Final score: ICTP 11 v 3 ITAL-TBS

Oh, by the way, I mentioned this was the second game of the season. We
also played against SISSA last week. Pesco (last season's top scorer in
the tournament) managed to chalk up a couple of goals but the game
finished ICTP 3 v 8 SISSA. The less said the better…

Peter McGrath, PhD
Tel: +39 040 2240 571
Fax: +39 040 224 559
TWAS - the academy of sciences for the developing world
c/o The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics,
Strada Costiera 11, 34014 Trieste, Italy
http://www.twas.org

Disclaimer: http://www.twas.org/disclaimer