ICTP mourns the passing of Yukiya Amano, IAEA Director General

Infopoint infopoint at ictp.it
Mon Jul 22 17:42:03 CEST 2019

The ICTP community is greatly saddened by the news today of the passing
away of Yukiya Amano, the Director General of the International Atomic
Energy Agency (IAEA). Mr. Amano was born in Japan and led the IAEA since
2009, and was widely respected by his colleagues and counterparts for
his professionalism and dedication. ICTP has lowered its UN flag in his
honor. He was 72.

ICTP is overseen by the IAEA and hosts many training programs in nuclear
management, science, and technology, in line with the IAEA's mission of
'Atoms for Peace and Development.' Mr. Amano visited ICTP first in 2011
as a lecturer in one of these training activities in nuclear energy
management, bringing decades of experience in international relations to
his lectures from his time with the Japanese Foreign Ministry and with
the IAEA. He was then a guest of honor and speaker at ICTP's 50th
Anniversary celebrations in 2014.

An advocate for non-proliferation and disarmament, Mr. Amano was proud
of the work IAEA has done to promote the use and exploration of nuclear
science for development purposes, such as medical physics, forensics
science, and agricultural research. "I am very proud of our
achievements, and grateful to Member States and Agency staff," he said
in a recent communication. ICTP is proud to be part of that mission, and
extends our deepest condolences to his family and all mourning his passing.

George Thompson OIC