SISSA Sciama Colloquium: 100 years of General Relativity | 24 October, 5 pm

Infopoint infopoint at ictp.it
Thu Oct 18 10:54:55 CEST 2018

*100 years of General Relativity: From Einstein in 1915 to Relativistic
Cosmology in the 21st Century **
*Sciama Colloquium by Pedro Ferreira of Oxford University

24 October, 5 pm
SISSA, Via Bonomea 265
"P. Budinich" Main Lecture Hall

Physical Cosmology is the success story of modern physics. Observations
of the large scale structure of the universe have allowed us to
characterize the cosmological model with unprecedented precision. What
is less appreciated is that we have learnt a great deal about the
building blocks of Relativistic Cosmology: about space-time, its origin
and the role of general relativity in the evolution of the universe. In
the Colloquium astrophysicist Pedro Ferreira will show how, over the
last two decades, we have made tremendous progress in characterizing the
overall metric of space-time- its homogeneity and isotropy- as well as
its properties at very early times. He will show how exploring general
relativity can play a crucial role in solving one of the big
cosmological puzzles (the dark energy problem) and how cosmology can be
used to find new, precision constraints on general relativity. Ferreira
will discuss a vision of the future in which we attempt to completely
map out the large scale characteristics of space-time using innovative
techniques and future surveys.

SISSA - Trieste