Trieste Marathon

Infopoint info_pt at ictp.it
Mon Apr 10 09:00:49 CEST 2017

We are considering the possibility of organising the participation of a
group from the ICTP community in the traditional Trieste Marathon
(previously known as Bavisela) together with a group of
refugees/migrants who are presently housed at CARA, Gradisca.

For details of the Trieste Marathon which will take place on Sunday, 7
May, please see the following link:

http://www.triestemarathon.it/

We are assuming this will be for the shorter run, i.e. 7 kilometres.

If any one of you has already registered for the marathon and is
interested in participating in this initiative, could you kindly contact
the Infopoint within Tuesday, 11 April.

We would also like to cover the registration costs of the
refugees/migrants and any contribution to this would be greatly
appreciated. We are expecting to have at least 5 people from CARA
participating. Contributions may also be given to the Infopoint.

This initiative would be in accordance with the message from the
Director-General of UNESCO on the occasion of the International Day of
Sport for Development and Peace, 6 April 2017:

"Sport is a passion shared by women and men across the world. It is a
force for physical well-being and social empowerment. It is an engine
for equality, especially gender equality, for including everyone,
especially the most disadvantaged. There is no more powerful platform
than sport to nurture the values we all share – solidarity,
responsibility, respect, honesty, teamwork, equality motivation and
self-esteem… Sport is a way to include everyone, including refugees and
migrants, to fight against stereotypes, to strengthen the foundations
for peace in healthy societies".

Anne Gatti & Nicoletta Zar