Invitation to the ICTP 2016 Salam Distinguished Lecture Series 3-5 May 2016: Climate and Climate Change

Infopoint info_pt at ictp.it
Fri Apr 29 16:36:51 CEST 2016

_*ICTP Announcement

ICTP 2016 Salam Distinguished Lecture Series 3-5 May 2016: Climate and
Climate Change*_

ICTP is pleased to announce that Professor Sir Brian Hoskins, a renowned
climate expert, will deliver this year’s Salam Distinguished Lecture
Series from 3 to 5 May 2016. The times are as follows:

3 to 4 May, 16:30
5 May, 11:00
Budinich Lecture Hall, ICTP

Light refreshments will be served after the lectures on 3 and 4 May.

Climate change, a defining issue of our times, raises many questions
about our relationship to Earth and how we should respond to related
environmental challenges. There is a clear need for solid scientific
understanding and evidence to inform future climate and environmental
policies.

Professor Sir Brian Hoskins, a meteorologist with years of experience at
the science-policy interface, will present an overview of how the
climate system works, with a focus on the roles and interaction of the
atmosphere and ocean, the current status of climate change science, and
the likely impact and risks of continued emission of greenhouse gases to
the atmosphere. He will discuss the international effort to limit
climate change and the need for adapting to the change that occurs. He
will also highlight the major challenges climate change poses to
science, technology and our socio-economic behaviour.

Sir Brian is Chair of the Grantham Institute for Climate Change at
Imperial College London and Professor of meteorology at the University
of Reading, UK.

*/The ICTP Salam Distinguished Lecture Series is sponsored by the Kuwait
Foundation for the Advancement of Sciences./*

You are all warmly invited to attend.

Kind regards,

Fernando Quevedo
Director