UPDATE

Infopoint info_pt at ictp.it
Fri Oct 30 14:03:55 CET 2015

/*_
_*/                                           The event will be streamed
on video.ictp.it

/*_
Isoperimetric problems and minimal surfaces_*/

Friday, 30 October, at 2 PM
Venue: Leonardo Building, Budinich Lecture Hall

*/Abstract:/* I will describe few classical variational problems related
to very basic geometrical notions, such as length of curves, area of
surfaces and volumes. I will give the solution of the classical
isoperimetric problem and how this problem rapidly induces natural
related problems which are largely open. Increasing dimension, I will
show how the mean curvature of a surface becomes the key ingredient and
give an overview of the classical theory of "minimal" surfaces in
euclidean space. Time permitting, I will describe few applications of
these theories to natural sciences, from general relativity to biology.

Speaker: Claudio AREZZO, ICTP