Morning earthquake updatings

Infopoint info_pt at ictp.it
Tue Apr 22 12:19:57 CEST 2014

We have been informed that the earthquake we experienced this morning
reached the magnitude mb 4.7 richter and it originated at Pivka in
Slovenia.

We are verifying all the buildings on the campus for any possible damages
occurred. According to our technical officer who is inspecting the
buildings, these have been constructed in a solid manner and may be
considered safe.

Below please find some general, useful suggestions on how to behave during
earthquakes.
Earthquakes can last just a few seconds or as long as several minutes, and
knowing how to react during the quake can help prevent injuries:

  - Immediately seek a safe location such as in a doorway, beneath a table
or desk, or along an interior wall away from windows or hazardous
objects.
   - Cover the back of your head and your eyes to minimize injury from
flying debris.
   - Do not take elevators during an earthquake.
   - If outdoors, stay in open areas away from buildings, power lines,
trees, and other potential hazards.
   - If driving, stop quickly but safely and stay in the vehicle. Do not
stop near power lines, bridges, overpasses, or other potentially
dangerous locations.
   - Stay calm and brace yourself to keep your balance, sitting if possible.

After an Earthquake

Quick thinking after an earthquake hits can minimize immediate dangers.
Proper earthquake safety precautions after a tremor include the following:

  - Be prepared for aftershocks, which may be stronger than the initial jolt.

    - Be cautious opening cabinets,in case items may be poised to fall.

- Wear shoes at all times to avoid stepping on eventual broken glass.

  -  Check for structural damage, but do not enter a building that shows
damage or has visible cracks in the walls or foundation.

Dag H. Johannessen