Sign up at the Info Point for upcoming tours by coach with guide

Infopoint info_pt at ictp.it
Tue Aug 27 10:06:55 CEST 2013

We are pleased to inform you that the Info Point has organized two tours
by coach with  professional English speaking guides.
You may obtain all the necessary information and buy your tickets at the
Info Point counter, Leonardo building, 8.30 - 16.48 (ext. 591 or 219)

The tours are the following:

1) Tomorrow afternoon, WEDNESDAY 28th August: Tour of Two Castles (Duino
and San Giusto) & Muggia -  euro 22/head
MEETING POINT with our English-speaking guide at the coach at 14.20 near
bus stop 6 in Grignano (seaside).  Departure is at 14.30 sharp and return
at 20.30.

    Visit the beautiful Duino castle, built in the 14th century on high
cliffs overlooking the Gulf of Trieste, surrounded by a beautiful
park. It is still the home of the Prince della Torre e Tasso and has
hosted many famous visitors, writers and artists over the centuries
(Listz, Sissi, Rainer Maria Rilke, and so on). Inside the castle there
is an interesting array of precious furnishings, paintings and
historical documents and a striking panorama from the dining-room's
terrace.
     From Duino we shall drive downtown to the San Giusto Castle, built
between 1470 and 1630. It dominates the hill in the heart of the
ancient city centre of Trieste, from where there is a lovely view of
the whole city.  We shall walk by the neighbouring Basilica of San
Giusto, built on the foundations of several religious sites erected
upon Roman ruins dating back to over two thousand years ago.
     Our next stop is Muggia, a charming Istro-Venetian fishing village
(its origins date back to 1600 B.C.), located close to the Slovenian
border. Its narrow, picturesque streets are flanked by typical, old
buildings. The church in the main square was built in XIII century
and it has an interesting facade and a small bell tower. In the
small, inner harbour, there are typical fishing boats and, on the
side of the pier, along a wall, we can see how the fishermen keep
their tools, nets and floaters.
For info: http://castellodiduino.it/ -
http://www.turismofvg.it/Castles/San-Giusto-Castle -
http://www.comune.muggia.ts.it/english.php
Snacks/refreshments in Muggia at own cost.

2) SATURDAY, 31st August: Tour of AQUILEIA and GRADO
- euro 22/head
MEETING POINT with our English-speaking guide at the coach at 13.50, near
bus stop 6 in Grignano (seaside). Departure at 14.00 sharp and return at
20.00.

Aquileia is a UNESCO heritage site and one of the most interesting
locations in the Region, an ancient marshland settlement, with a 700-year
Roman period dating back to 181 B.C. There are old Roman mosaics and old
Roman ruins spread out in an interesting and wide landscape. We shall also
visit either the museum or the basilica.
Right after, we shall go to neighbouring Grado, a small and elegant
seaside town, in the past a popular Austrian holiday resort with old
Austrian buildings. It has many historical connections with Venice and
Aquileia and sandy beaches.
Wear sneakers or good walking sandals/shoes for Aquileia, take a cap and
some water along. In Grado, if the weather is hot and if interested, take
a towel and bathing suit for a quick dip along the beach there.
For info: http://www.turismofvg.it/
Snacks/drinks in Grado at own cost.

Do not hesitate to contact us for any further information.

Best regards,
Info Point