This evening documentary: Fermat's Last theorem proof

Infopoint info_pt at ictp.it
Fri Oct 19 10:35:51 CEST 2012

Dear All,

Hope you all are enjoying. This evening documentary is Fermat's Last Theorem
'  This theorem was given by famous mathematician Pierre De Fermat in 1637.
Fermat was one of the greatest mathematician. He wrote this theorem
randomly on blank portion of a page of some book. He said that he knew how
to proof that; but, he didn't give the proof. I am sure every one know this
theorem may be not by name. The says that for an algebraic equation, x^n +
y^n = z^n, there is no solution for n>2 . It means you can not find three
number (x,y,z) satisfying this equation. The only possible solution which
exist is for n=2 which is our famous Pythagorean Theorem .i.e  x^2 + y^2 =
z^2. You see how simple the theorem is. Even 10 year old boy can understand
this. But the proof is not as simple as this theorem. many mathematicians
tried to proof this but their efforts went in vain. Andrew Wiles,  professor
of Mathematics in Princeton University, finally proved this theorem after
spending many years. It turned out that the proof was 21st century proof,
and also not algebraic.

Remember last time's lecture by Randy Pausch on how to achieve our
childhood dream. This is one of the example because proving fermat's last
theorem was the childhood dream of Andrew Wiles (strange..!). The purpose
of this is not to learn about the proof, elliptic curves, Galois
representation etc etc, but to get some motivation and inspiration. This is
much needed for us diploma students but every one needs in every stage of
life. We all need motivation and inspiration to do something extraordinary;
and we get this from great people. So every one is welcome to come and
enjoy this beautiful documentary today at 17:30 (5:30pm) in Lecture-room B.

Here are some links. See you all there.

*Fermat's Last Theorem Documentary:*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FnXgprKgSE
*