Checkpoints on borders from 28/6 to 15/7

Infopoint info_pt at ictp.it
Wed Jun 24 09:18:39 CEST 2009

INFORMATION ON SCHENGEN SUSPENSION

This is to inform you that from 28 June 2009 to 15 July 2009 the
Italian Government has decided to suspend the Schengen Agreement in order
to ensure the maximum level of security
during the G8 Meeting scheduled in the town of l'Aquila (in the Abruzzo
Region).
The suspension of the Treaty, however, implies that the checkpoints at all
the borders of Italy (road, railway, airports, etc.) will be temporarily
reinstated as  in the past.
Therefore, all the normal Schengen Visas and/or Permits
of Stay of all Schengen countries will still be valid to enter Italy but
all travelers will have to be checked at the borders.
We take therefore this opportunity to remind all our visitors to always
carry with them their passports,visas, permits of stay and any other
relevant travel document.

For further info please contact the Visa Office (ext 509).

Erich Jost

P.S Important notice: These measures have nothing to do with the upcoming
G8 meeting taking place in Trieste (25 - 27 June) and for which we are
preparing an ad hoc info that will  be publicized as soon as the
organizing authorities in town will make their  last-minute decisions as
far as the Miramare area is concerned (i.e., the closure of the park,
castle and traffic limitations in and around the city etc.)