UN Day 2006 24 October 2006

ICTP info point info_pt at ictp.it
Tue Oct 24 09:24:33 CEST 2006

UN Day 2006

Dear All,

Today, 24 October, is the  UN Day 2006.

Having organized the Open Day event this year, ICTP had not planned to
organize the UN Day as well. One of the other UN Institutions was
invited to take care of it, but was not in a position to do it.

So, in order to not let the UN Day 2006 go without any local
celebration, and following a recent contact with the headmaster of the
Oberdan high school, we have agreed to organize the UN Day in
collaboration.
The event will take place at the Dante Alighieri high school today, at
11.00. The project on the Millennium Goals that the students did last
scholastic year and its outcome will be presented.
  Karim Audia and Claudio Piani  from the ICTP will make short
presentations  of their science, Erich Jost will organize the stand on
the UN (as you know from the Open Day), and we will show a video with
the UN Day 2006 speech by Mr. Kofi Annan.

Besides getting some input on the research done at ICTP and that this
may contribute in some areas to proceeding in the right direction
towards the Millennium Goals, we hope that many youngsters will
develop  interest and motivation for a possible future within  science,
technology and research .

Here at the ICTP the UN Day speech by Mr. Kofi Annan is visible at the
following web site: http://www.un.org/webcast/sg2006.html (link of 6
October).

Best wishes to everybody,

Dag Harald Johannessen