Open Day 2006 - Saturday 16 September

ICTP info point info_pt at ictp.it
Thu Aug 10 13:28:45 CEST 2006

TO ALL SCIENTISTS, STAFF, CONSULTANTS

OPEN DAY 2006  - SATURDAY 16 SEPTEMBER

Dear All.

Two years ago, ICTP, together with SISSA, Immaginario Scientifico,
TWAS, DFT, WWF,INFM, the Miramare Castle, etc, organized an Open Day
event. As you remember, it was a very welcome event, with an estimated
4.500 visitors from the local area. Many of you assisted in the
preparations and helped throughout the day itself. I believe you
enjoyed the contact with the visitors and the good atmosphere.

On Saturday 16 September, we will be able to enjoy the Open Day event
again. For some time, preparations have been going on, inside ICTP, and
inside the other institutions.

Like last time, Prof. Sreenivasan will open the happening at 10.30 in
ICTP's Main Lecture Hall. Thereafter, the Italian astronaut Umberto
Guidoni will talk about his two space trips and show a film. There will
be a roundtable discussion with some ICTP and SISSA scientists, led by
Fabio Pagan.  The Italian Olympic and world champion in cross-country
skiing, Manuela di Centa, will also be present and give a talk.

In the afternoon, there will be 7-8 talks, each of ca. 30 minutes, in
both ICTP's and SISSA's Main Lecture Halls. Themes are like physics and
ski, physics and sailing, physics and aroma, physics and criminology,
mathematics and financial portfolios, to name some. All to be held in
Italian by great speakers.

There will be four guided tours: first one is ICTP including TWAS and
DFT, second is SISSA including INFM, third is Immaginario Scientifico
and WWF, fourth is the Miramare Castle (special thematic tours in the
park). They all start from the parking in front of ICTP MB.

The ICTP tour will start every 10 minutes (for this we will need many
volunteers as guides) and take 30 minutes or so. At the end of the
tour, the visitors should be let loose on the terrace to explore" a
volonta' " the scientific stands. The scientific sections have under
preparation about 16 stands, with experiments and
'touch&feel&see-things'. There will be one stand with information
regarding the United Nations in general (UN institutions, where and how
to work within the UN) together with info on the Fund for Hunger, will
be given.

The Weather and Climate section will, linked with its stand, release a
meteorological weather balloon twice during the day. We have had
printed 1000 balloons, that visitors to that stand will receive, can
fill up with helium, attach a postcard with their name on, and release.
Retrieved balloon post cards should be sent to the Centre, so we can
see how far the balloons travelled. With some prize, to be decided
upon.  Also, we will print out post-cards which will be handed out to
visitors for drawings related to impressions of the day.

People can book tours in advance, or show up on the same day. Of
course, pre-booking guarantees space available. Visitors will receive a
nice T-shirt. Same will all volunteers.

Immaginario Scientifico will have two stands on the MB  terrace level,
of which one especially dedicated to children.
A publisher of 'scientific books for children',  Editoriale Scienza,
will also be present, reading their books for children and showing some
experiments. Other than this, there will be no kindergarten as such.

The cafeteria will organize ethnic food with selling points also
outside the cafeteria.
Joe and Suzie with other musicians will play on the parking lot (this
time protected by a gazebo) and the SISSA choir will perform as well.

For the transportation of the groups, we have obtained a shuttle bus in
sponsorship, we will be using ICTP's small buses, and will have several
manned jeeps for the same purpose.

As last time, we have met a lot of support from the local authorities.
The Province will organize free buses from Piazza Oberdan every ten
minutes, and also let the boat to Grignano Mare run for free.
Unfortunately, we have not (yet) managed to have the train schedules
reprogrammed to have the local trains stop at the Grignano station. The
Region will print for us the leaflets and posters needed, as insert in
their communication channels news about the event. A film team from the
Region's film center will be present, and make a video afterwards, for
wide distribution. A spot, to be shown a couple of days beforeh the
event in all local television channels, has already been made.

So, outside the Centre, there are already growing expectations for the
upcoming OPEN DAY 2006.
Now it is time to prepare ourselves also internally.
With this status information, we invite you all to sign up as
volunteers for the event.

We will need your assistance for:

-Receiving the visitors in the "Prenotazione Tour" gazebo and also
distribute the T-shirts;
-Giving information at the " Info Point "  gazebo;
-Driving/transportation;
-Guiding the visitors around (guided tours);
-Guarding/directing the flow of visitors;
-Assisting with balloon blowing, giving out cards and releasing the
balloons;
-Setting up all the stands and taking them away afterwards.

All of these functions are equally important for the successful
organization of the Open Day.

Please send an email by next Wednesday 16/8/06 to the Info-Point about
your availability (email: info_pt at ictp.it) saying with what you would
like to assist.
Family members of yours are very welcome to sign up as volunteers.

At the end of August and early September, briefing and training of the
volunteers will be organized.
Shortly, a website on the Open Day will be ready, from where the 4,5
minutes long video from the 2004 Open Day can be viewed.

Thank you for your support and assistance with this Open Day. And don't
forget to invite your friends and neighbours.

Best regards,
Dag H. Johannessen